Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Adventures in Potty Training

We have settled in okay to school. Gabby is bored - she knows pretty much everything that is on the curriculum for the first half of the year, but is not quite ready to skip a grade. Meetings with her teacher will be forthcoming to address the boredom and come up with a plan. My mother calls it Gordon-itis. I agree - and this is fixable.

But now our attention turns to Gavin. We have six long hours alone during the day. Option A: come home at 7:45, eat breakfast, watch TV, play outside, nap, eat lunch, pick up Gabby...

Option B: Do stuff! So, we have a schedule. We come home at 7:45, go back to bed for a short while (we're not morning people), wake up, have breakfast, then have a little curriculum: reading books; computer exercises in Numbers, Letters, and Colors;  flash cards for the same; coloring and drawing to develop the fine motor skills; nap; lunch; pick Gabby up; free range play after homework.

We also tried potty training.

Gavin is not afraid of the toilet. In fact, he's rather proud of his efforts. High fives all around when he successfully uses it. But it's not consistent, which is where we come in as parents. Today I set his timer so that every 30 - 45 minutes we'd give it a try. Works pretty well...

I also tried to put him in underwear. I showed them to him, he showed interest. I put them on and the SCREAMSSSSS that came out of his mouth! One would swear I'd done a belated circumcision on the child! I took them off and he snatched them out of my hands and dramatically threw them across the room.

"Dat not yours Mommy! Want diaper!" Then he marched over to the changing table, grabbed a diaper and handed it to me with a mutinous glare.

So baby steps it is. At least he will willingly use the toilet...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails