Saturday, January 26, 2013

Flashback

In about a week, we'll be winging our way down to Trinidad for the good old family vacation with family. Carnival, plus the Spaz' and my fifteenth wedding anniversary. This year the kids' birthdays won't fall while we are down there, so we will actually - gasp! - have a stateside birthday party!

Three years ago, Gabby turned two. We were in the grips of Snowmageddon and whatnot, and for some reason we had decided not to go to Trinidad in February and instead went in June. That time the whole gang took a trip to Tobago for a week. Picture it - twentysomething Gordons packed into a three-story, three apartment house. It was amazing that everyone got along. Unbeknownst to us, Gavin was present, but probably about the size of the head of a pin at the time.

We came back to our Malick digs for a few days. One afternoon, people were hanging about. Gabby, now about 2 1/2, and Rohan were inside the house while the adults were liming on the front porch. Rohan suddenly appeared on the porch looking quiet and, in retrospect, a little suspicious. I asked him where Gabby was and he pointed to the laundry room area. This was an open-air room that ran part of the length of Auntie Pam's house, cut off by gates on either end, and tiled with red clay. I walked out to see Gabby at the far end with a magic marker in hand doing her finest imitation of Picasso. I could only gasp and laugh. So, I went back out to the porch with the little criminal to let Auntie Pam know of her knew decorating scheme out back. Bill was HORRIFIED. HIS child did this? And with magic marker?

Auntie Pam, the oldest of ten, mother of two including Neighborhood Legend Randy, and grandmother of three - including the aforementioned Ro - just shrugged it off and laughed. I took a closer look at Rohan who was suspiciously quiet. We started asking him how Gabby got the marker in the first place. Remember - this is his turf, not Gabby's. He is avoiding the question. I went back and took a closer look at the art and saw some suspiciously straight lines out there. Turns out that Rohan got the marker, started the art project... then handed the marker to Gabby and walked away. Little devils! I should take some pictures when we are there next week. I'm sure the art is still there, three years on.

1 comment:

Vilma said...

I will have my brand new Canon in tow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails