The Demon Within
This is another post, in part, about baby poop. I am simply amazed at the ability of a being, who subsists on milk from the boob or the bottle, to produce so much foul-smelling poop.
We were at church on Sunday -- and no, lightning did not strike me down -- for a relative's christening. Baby is one of only two girls born to my generation of cousins who currently live in the US. During the actual baptism part with the oil and the holy water, she started farting on the person who was holding her. Now, this kid farts like a champ and as loudly and foully as an adult who has eaten something unfortunate. I see some giggling going on in that pew... and then she is hastily passed back to me. Seems she not only decided to do more than fart, but it also leaked. Luckily I had brought extra blankets and clothes. Hubby and I hasten to another part of the church and change her diaper bracing ourselves for the howling that usually accompanies this exercise... and nothing. It seems like she was awed by the presence of the Holy Spirit or something because she just lay there and allowed herself to be cleaned up with ice cold baby wipes.
That was her first outing that wasn't to the pediatrician's or to that pit of hell known as Babies R Us. We all had a great time because she was the star of the show -- not the kid who was being baptized. Fine by me; I got to relax and let other people have all of the fun. She even (gasp!) wore a dress for the occasion and thank goodness my brother had actually bought her one since I hate frills of any sort. She's going to have to rely on the kindness of others for girly stuff 'cause Mommy doesn't play that.
We have a routine down at home that revolves around her sleeping and eating schedule. She eats every two hours for about 35 minutes (breastfeeding) and then will either sleep or we will play for a little while. We haven't ventured outside yet since it's just getting warm, but I've been enjoying a resurgence in low-level migraines because my eating schedule is so erratic. So the plan is to venture to get my allergy shot tomorrow afternoon in between feedings and perhaps take a walk around the neighborhood. The parasite -- because she really still is one -- is starting to develop the ability to emotionally manipulate her parents, which means she sleeps in the bed with us and every howl is met with immediate attention. I have to start breaking her into a public-ready child though since daycare is looming in mid-May. She is a delight though: today I put her in her bassinet with a little play mirror and she spent half an hour looking at herself and cooing. When she's not sleeping, eating, or pooping, we sit together and "chat" about whatever comes into my head (usually nonsense). Despite her delightfulness, I can't wait till hubby gets home for some actual adult interaction.
Hubby has been a tremendous help, although he insists on waking up for that feeding that usually occurs between 2 and 5 AM even though he has to be at work at 10. As soon as he gets home, he gets to chill for a little while then she is almost exclusively his until midnight or so. I use this time to make myself look like less of a hag, with mixed results. My hair still looks like I'm trying to grow dreadlocks, but I'll fight one small battle at a time. At the moment, I'm just fucking around even though I feel like I should be doing laundry or something but I'm so tired!
La certezza
1 year ago


No comments:
Post a Comment